Ways to be more eco-friendly/zero waste

Tuesday, July 2, 2019


For a while now, I've been interested in changing my habits to be as eco-friendly and zero waste as possible. I've taken small steps so far and I can continue to grow in being more conscious of what I buy and things like that.

So in this blog post I'm going to be talking about the ways in which you can incorporate a more environmentally friendly lifestyle where possible. Also, if you're trying to be more eco-friendly, don't beat yourself up if you don't do it amazingly right at the beginning. It's a learning process and you're doing the best you can so far. I already feel so much better knowing that these little things I'm doing is making a small difference. Onward and upwards, as they say!

1) Wooden Toothbrushes

Toothbrushes definitely don't need to be made of plastic, so switching to wooden/bamboo toothbrushes is the way to go. They're much more hygienic (the bamboo handles are naturally antibacterial) and it's better for the environment as they are biodegradable. I use humble brush by The Humble Co but there are other brands out there. These toothbrushes are cruelty free and vegan. I recommend them. You can find them in Holland & Barrett in the UK and you can also buy them online.

Once it's at the end of it's use, just pull the bristles out with some pliers. The bamboo handle can be composted - just put it in your bio-waste bin. Another option is to up-cycle and reuse them for other purposes like cleaning your bathroom for areas that are difficult to reach with a normal brush, for example. There are plenty of ways to re-use them, so you can get creative! :)

2) Glass Containers

Instead of buying plastic containers to store food, switching to glass containers is much better for the environment. Glass is 100% recyclable. Potentially harmful chemicals are avoided by switching to glass and you'll also avoid the lingering smells that you would get from using plastic containers. So that's a plus! No germs, no problem ;)

3) Recycle, Recycle, Recycle

Having separate bins for food, general waste, cardboard and plastics is better for the environment. Make sure that you put the right items in the right bins. Also by doing this, it's easier to see how much plastic you're actually using and you can make a decision on how to reduce your plastic consumption.

4) Removing Makeup

Makeup remover pads are so damaging to the environment, so why don't you opt for a reusable solution instead. A couple of months ago I bought a pack of five reusable cotton face pads made from 100% organic cotton. You don't have to buy it organically but I just preferred to do so. I bought them from Etsy UK and I recommend going on there to buy them. Just sift through the searches to find the most affordable ones for you.

5) Walking to the supermarket (with a trolley!)

Okay, so you may be thinking 'why would I take a shopping trolley, they're for the elderly' but I'm here to tell you that it's okay to own one and use them for your weekly or monthly food shop! If you don't drive and also don't want to carry many heavy bags then this option is a lifesaver. Also since you're walking you're not contributing to the co2 emissions from cars and buses. However if you take the bus that's better than using a car so if you need to take the bus then it's okay too. Any little thing helps. The trolley is an investment so you may think it's expensive to buy one like that but you'll be using it for a long time so it's worth it (they're only around £20, so not extortionate). Why hurt your back/neck in the long run when you could pull the trolley and save yourself from going to the osteopath! Just a thought :)

6) Grow your own food

If you have the option to do this then I highly recommend it. Having your own fresh produce is better for your health and saves you using unnecessary plastic and transportation costs. Since you are in control of your veggie patch, you won't need to use pesticides. This is something I really want to do when I have my own place one day. So for now I'll buy local produce to support the local businesses.

7) Personal Care

Things like shampoo can be bought in solid form and sold in paper packaging. Try Lush as they're good for that. Also something that's important to note is that you should avoid using products that contain microbeads. They are especially harmful to the environment as they enter the water system and enter the food chain. Basically for those who don't know, microbeads are solid pieces of small plastic that aren't biodegradable. I found this out through a colleague actually and thankfully so. I no longer purchase face washes with them inside.

8) Charity Shops

I personally love charity shops, so for me this one is easy. If you want to buy some books or clothes or even any other item that charity shops sell, then it's a perfect way to reuse old things instead of them being thrown away in the dump. You also save on some money because of the cheaper prices. On the other hand you can donate unwanted items to avoid sending them to landfills. Whoop whoop :D

So there you have it, a few ways in which you can adopt an eco-friendly lifestyle. There are many more ways to be eco-friendly/waste free but I've included points that I find really important. 

Thank you for reading today's blog post and if you have more to add on in the comments section then feel free! I'll see you in the next one,

Charlotte x

Would you like to comment?

@charlosophie