National Railway Museum

Thursday, May 23, 2019


Just a few days before my birthday I decided to go and visit the National Railway Museum. I have always loved trains so this was a great day out for me. It was only a 10 minute walk from the hostel I'm currently living at, which was pretty neat.

You could probably find yourself browsing the whole museum for hours, there's a vast amount to see. I loved all of it personally because each exhibit was unique.

I took so many photos but it didn't even include everything that I saw. You could probably have a blog post each for all the different areas.

Entering the museum is free but they do ask for donations. They have toilets there and also a gift shop. I ended up buying my family a postcard of the eurostar haha :)

First exhibit



These trains are so beautiful and intricate. There was a written explanation of the history behind each train. I wish they still made trains like these today but oh well. At least we can appreciate them this way.









 Main exhibit










Next up you'll see an example of an ambulance train. There is quite a lot of information about how these trains functioned back in the day and what happened with their patients. From what I gathered it seemed pretty brutal. 






Miscellaneous photos 


As you can see it's platform 9 and 3 quarters ;)
A node to Harry Potter was a nice touch.


I had a lovely time exploring the national railway museum and would 100% go back again. I definitely recommend going if you can. It's a fabulous place for children. There's even a play area for them. In the main hall there's a cafeteria, which looked nice. I didn't eat there but apparently the food is meant to be good. My favourite part of the museum was being able to sit inside one of the model trains. I'm slowly exploring more and more of York which I'm really happy about because it's nice to get to know about where you're living.

I hope you found this blog post fun and interesting and I'll see you in the next one,

Charlotte x

Would you like to comment?

@charlosophie