Knaresborough

Sunday, May 19, 2019


On my way to work in Harrogate one day by train, I stumbled upon the idyllic town of Knaresborough as I was passing through. I knew then that I had to go and visit. So on my birthday that's what I did. On the 16th May I turned 22 and decided to treat myself to a little sightseeing. This was the first year that I celebrated without my family but that was okay. That's what growing up is really, living your own life and bracing the world by yourself. Anyway, I had a lovely day and was graced with sublime weather. It was like a summer's day.

I took the train at 10:15 and arrived by 10:35. I walked down these steps but then needed the toilet so I went back to the station in search for the loos. I also got directions to the must see sights.



Carrying on with my journey I took the advice of the lady from the coffee shop about where to go. I followed her directions and went on my merry way. I walked by a church which was beautiful in itself and then followed some steps down to the river. The viaduct stood tall showcasing it's beauty. I felt like I was living in a dream almost. Knaresborough is absolutely special and the definition of quaint. I then walked along the river to the left and came across a field which then led to a part of the river where it was peaceful and serene. Hearing the birds chirp and sing made me feel like I was in a Disney movie haha. Anyway, I stood there for a little while just appreciating and taking in the scenery. I love nature and could spend every day just lounging by a river or park with a good book and some snacks (haha yes I am such a Taurus, don't laugh)




Fast forward a little and we find ourselves walking through a forest like area. I came across the Lady in the Crag chapel. It felt very fairy like to be honest. Sadly the chapel was closed. They only seem to be open on Sundays. Oh well, next time I go I better be there on Sunday xD I continued walking and found myself passing by a handful of lovely houses (ones I'll probably never afford :P). I sat down because I needed a break, especially with the heat being turned up a notch.




Bebra Gardens

Stumbling across the Bebra Gardens was magical. I wanted to sit on the grass reading a book and having a picnic. It was the perfect weather for it as well. They even had a large paddling pool. It wasn't filled up as it wasn't open for the public to use. So as I kept walking I saw a pillar in the distance. I followed it and then ended up at the ruined Knaresborough Castle.



Knaresborough Castle

To enter the castle cost about £3 but it was closed and I didn't feel like waiting ages for someone to come and open it. I just walked around it in the park area. I wonder what the castle would have looked like if it were still intact. I absolutely love castles, especially if they're medieval. I LOVE medieval history. Good golly :D





So before the end of my trip I went to explore the town centre. The high street was nice, everything was in good walking distance. I entered this old style sweet shop and was tempted by the sugary treats, of course :D I bought white chocolate buttons with sprinkles on them, some truffles and also some fried egg sweets. Random selection I know, but that's just how I roll. Afterwards I just explored the shops and came across the charity shop Age UK. I found a black dress on the railing and decided to give it a try. I ended up snagging it for just £2.99, bargain!



When I had decided to end my trip, I found myself at the old ticket office coffee shop. It's actually the name of it, believe it or not. It had a lovely ambience and had many trinkets around the place. It was cute. I ordered a scone and hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows. I was in for a treat! I can honestly say that that scone was the best one that I ever had (apparently everybody says that, according to the owner). I had a lovely chat with her and she was very sweet and welcoming. She even took a picture of me behind the counter. I hugely recommend popping by and being treated to some delicious food and drink. Then, I awaited my train. It arrived five minutes later and then I saw myself back to York.




For my birthday dinner I treated myself to some king prawns with a salad and then for desert some raspberries and blueberries. Not too long after I was surprised with a birthday cake from the hostel. They were so kind and made my night. They all sat around the table saying what they liked about me. It was touching but also kind. It's nice to be appreciated sometimes. It was lovely to know that they thought I was genuine and caring. Ahh they hit me in the feels <3



So that was my birthday. Fun, beautiful and special. Just what I needed :D

~
Thank you very much for reading today's blog post and until the next one,

Charlotte x

Would you like to comment?

@charlosophie