Harry Potter Experience

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Who doesn't love Harry Potter? And what's even cooler than watching the movies? Going to the actual movie set. At the mere age of 14, little did I know what awaited me around the corner!

I had the lucky experience to have gone to the Leavesden studios in London twice; once with my aunt and the other with my mum and sisters. Both times were very pleasant and very intriguing. My aunt got us all VIP passes due to connections which was a once in a lifetime opportunity. We had a three hour tour of the whole studio. We had things explained to us about the set and the movies. We came across the purple invisible bus (which is featured in the fourth film) however we couldn't go inside. I really wanted to though! One part that I thought was very interesting was how the props looked, both material objects and 'character' props (e.g. the massive spiders as seen in the first film). In my opinion the spiders were quite freaky, and their size definitely didn't help discourage the intimidating factor. I also saw all the goblins that were featured mostly in the first film and some from later on in the movies. We saw a few other famous faces, of the the likes of Buckbeak and Fawkes.

I can't remember exact details since I went a few years ago, but I do have vivid memories of other things such as the great hall, Dumbledore's office and most importantly (my favourite) The Ministry of Magic. It took my breath away. I remember going inside the elevator and it had this really cool contraption for the elevator buttons that were multicoloured. The scale model of Hogwarts was in the set of the Ministry of Magic - very cool indeed.

{Okay, now don't freak out but I was able to sit in Dumbledore's chair and I had my picture taken. It was mind blowing! I am yet to find the picture, which is sitting somewhere in the huge piles of photographs. When I find it, I'll take a picture of it, and post it here.}

On two occasions did I manage to get a sneak peak into the filming. The first was when I saw one of the death eaters flying on a broom (which I assume was when they flew over London) and the other was when they were filming a dining hall scene, I am not sure of the particular one. The whole room was a green screen. It was fascinating how it all worked. That takes me to another point. When they were getting ready to film that scene, I was waiting and observing the main hall. Plates were set on the huge dining tables, and things were going on in the background. I got a feel for the movie industry, and it was overwhelming, but wonderful. It inspired me towards acting. It ignited my passion for film and to become an actress. Of course now I realise that that dream was just that, a dream. That doesn't take away the fact that I reveled in the set and everything about it. During both scenes, I did not recognise any famous actors; to my longing dismay. If I had met any famous actor I probably would have shied away. Another aspect of the set that was really fascinating was the design and wardrobe. What I mean by that is, all the models of certain things, for example the exterior of Hogwarts. So much effort was used to create such a vast work of art, it was quite something. Knowing how much time must have gone into doing all of that just makes you appreciate the movies a lot more.

There is so much more that I am missing out, but this is most of what I remember. If you knew everything that I experienced, you would be in awe. Even though the set is considerably different to the current Warner Brothers studio tour, there is no doubt that you'll enjoy it just as much. I am sure it's as good as the movie set/studios; however I am glad I had the chance to go. It was the best thing I've ever done. My legs ached by the end of it, it was quite exhausting, but who's complaining? It was a once in a lifetime experience and I am extremely grateful to have had that privilege. Also on one more note, the reason I couldn't take photos or talk about the fact that I went was because they swore me to secrecy. That's because they weren't finished filming all of the movies. It's understandable though but it would have been amazing to record the details first hand rather than years later.

Have any of you been to the Warner Brother's studio tour? If so, what were your first impressions? Thank you for reading today's blog post and until next time,


Charlotte x

Would you like to comment?

@charlosophie